It is with Mr. Windel’s (aka Awesome Blogger Dude) permission that I post this extraordinary New Year’s questionnaire.
You don’t have to be a blogger (or even an avid emailer) to enjoy asking these questions of yourself and maybe sharing the answers with someone you love.
Afterall, isn’t that what love is all about: sharing?
So, here’s me sharing my answers with you. (Cuz I wuv ya’s!!)
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Lived in a different country. Then moved back to California. I got rid of virtually everything I owned. I learned first-hand about another culture, fed kangaroos and wallabies, and watched, listened to, stepped on and stepped over a vast array of very interesting creatures in nature. I spent excessive amounts of time on airplanes. I drove more miles in one year (4,000+) than I’ve ever driven before, and even learned to drive on the other side of the road. I moved into a house that had not one stick of furniture in it. (Ha, it still doesn’t have much!) The list is rather quite long I’m afraid….
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions and will you make more for 2009? No – Yes (and I hope to KEEP these!)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes, Jess and John had a gorgeous daughter
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, sadly, I lost three aunts and my daughter lost her great-grandmother and an uncle on her dad’s side
5. What countries did you visit? Australia, New Zealand and Fiji.
6. What would you like to have more of in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? Stability for my children, more friends, a good job, and happy times with my husband.
7. What dates(s) from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory and why? The date we left for Australia and the times we did our grand-driving-tours
8. What was your biggest achievement of 2008? Moving half-way around the world and all of the things that it required of me
9. Did you suffer illness or injury? No thankfully!
10. What was the best thing you bought? Hmmmm…airplane tickets and a “new” SUV
11. Whose behaviour merited celebration? My youngest daughter gets the award for the amazing accomplishments she made that year, given her difficulties
12. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? I shouldn’t say it in this public forum
13. Where did most of your money go? See Question No. 10
14. What did you get really, really, really excited about? See Question No. 8
15. What song will always remind you of 2008? Home by Daughtry
16. Compared to this time last year, are you: Wiser? Yes, by far Healthier? No Richer? NO
17. What do you wish you’d done more of? Worked harder (and that encompasses a lot of things)
18. What do you wish you’d done less of? Cried, feared, worried
19. How did you spend Christmas? Alone amid chaos
20. Did you fall in love in 2008? Yeah, in more than one way
21. What was your favorite blog post that you wrote? Going Walkabout was my most favourite single post, but my David Tennant page has been the most fun
22. What were your favorite TV programs? Doctor Who (duh!)
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No, I am not a “hater”
24. What was the best book you read? I have re-thought my answer to this: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Of all that I’ve read, I would have to say that The Shipping News was the strangest book, and maybe the Da Vinci Code was the worst. I’m reading The Shack (see link in sidebar) and it’s got alot of promise
25. What was your greatest music discovery? Daughtry (and Hinder comes in second)
Wow this is a long quiz!
26. What did you want and get? see Question No. 1
27. What did you want and not get? The answer is complicated. Let’s just say it’s why I am back in the States
28. What was your favourite film of this year? Don’t have one
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Went out to eat at a gorgeous Italian place; 45
30. Which celebrity/public figure did you like most? Big grin! David Tennant
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? One step up from thrift store, one store over from Euro
32. What kept you sane? My faith, prayer, and my oldest daughter – and my oldest sister (God Bless her!)
33. Who did you miss? I miss my mother the most, and I miss all of my family every day
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Loneliness is a choice
35. What did you gain in 2008? Courage, wisdom, and insight; increased patriotism for my country.
36. What did you lose in 2008? Innocence
37. Who was the best new person you met? Yeah there’s the twist. I wish I could name someone new I’d met and became friends with, but that didn’t happen. Instead, I would have to say: me. Because I’ve changed in good ways
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year [updated]:
Taken all I could take
And I cannot wait
We’re wasting too much time
Being strong, holding on
Can’t let it bring us down
My life with you means everything
Wow, that was a LONG quiz! I love it though because I can look at this quiz and work out my New Years Resolutions from it.
[Author’s Note: this quiz was updated 8 Jan]